Wednesday 6 August 2014

FO (Knitting): Rosie the Mouse

Just because it was such a fun little project: Meet Rosie the Mouse. The pattern (Toerag the Tubemouse) came up as a Mini-KAL in the beginner's KAL group I'm active in on ravelry. I decided to make one for my daughter - she had been so patient lately when she was watching me making toys for swaps and I kept on telling her I would make something for her soon. So this was perfect: I could use up some leftovers, it was quick, easy and  simply cute - and it turned out to be the perfect companion for the first toy I made for her more than a year ago:


The pattern calls for DK weight yarn - but since I couldn't find any mouse coloured DK in my stash I went with grey leftover sock yarn held double for the body. The body knit up quickly, and so did the tail, feet and ears, which I made from scraps of variegated pink/purple sock yarn. I did not hold the yarn double for those small parts, but noticed later that I probably should have done so for the feet. Rosie does have problems standing upright because her feet came out quite flappy - I think I'll try to reinforce them with duplicate stitch.
Anyway, she can stand up for a yummy apple:


The part that took the longest was to pluck up the courage to pick up a needle and embroider a face and a pair of front paws. To my own surprise it worked out fine this time, and I am really happy with the result - maybe I am slowly getting better at this kind of embellishment.


Oh, and did I mention that Helena LOVES her mouse? She couldn't wait for me to finish it when she found out what I was making and that it would actually be hers. She wanted to cuddle with it even before it was finished.


No comments:

Post a Comment