Tuesday 5 August 2014

FO (Knitting): Two hats - Heather and Fern

I knit two hats last month. I know mid / end July with temperatures around 30° C is probably not the time most people think of  hats... BUT... Winter is coming... it's inevitable. So better be prepared.

To be honest, I have never really liked wearing hats until I started knitting... by now I've got plenty, and I'm still adding more. I like knitting hats - they are small enough projects to take and knit anywhere (a bit like socks), and they are quick projects. Well, I felt the need of some quick instant gratification projects and had those two gorgeous hat pattern in my queue...

The first hat I knit last month was Heather (pattern) - a really quick to knit hat with a lovely lace panel that gives the brim a nice shape and can be worn on either side. As suggested in the pattern I chose to use a fingering weight yarn (Lana Grossa Meilenweit Cornwall) and held it double. I love the feel of the fabric produced that way, and I'm sure it will keep my ears warm next winter.



Sword Fern (pattern) on the other hand is not your standard hat pattern. The construction is a little different and a little more challenging - and I loved knitting it. The only change I made to the pattern was twisting the knit stitches on the brim, just because I like the look of it. The hat is knit in fingering weight yarn (I used Lana Grossa Cool Wool Baby) and rather light and airy - and I am looking forward to wearing it often when autumn comes.



No comments:

Post a Comment