Thursday 18 September 2014

FOs (Sewing): More bags...

Project bags make wonderful swap gifts - they are useful, and they are rather quick to make. And while I'm still struggling to improve my sewing skills to a point where I dare sew adult sized garment, I have by now become fairly good at sewing project bags - nothing special, but hey! Half a year ago I wasn't even able to sew straight. So... I have made some progress.

A couple of weeks back, I found some cute owl fabric for sale in a local shop, and I made it into this drawstring bag for an angel package:


This was the first time I worked without a sewing pattern. I just knew what I wanted the bag to look like and how big I wanted it to be, cut out the fabrics - and it worked!

And then there was the fairy tale swap in August. I had come across some really cute Red Riding Hood fabric that I just had to use for that swap. I went by the Reversible Sock Knitting Project Bag tutorial again. I've used the pattern before and love it - all the instructions are already very clear in their written form, but there are also lots of pictures to guide you through every step.


And because I had (and still have) plenty of the Red Riding Hood fabric left after making the project bag, I made a matching notions pouch:


This is also a pattern I have used before - it's the Zipper Pouch pattern from the free Craftsy Class on Bag Making Basics that helped me take my first successful steps into machine sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment