Saturday 13 September 2014

New Pattern: Dolores Cup Cosy

Let me start with the story behind this pattern. In mid July I found and joined a group called HP Knitting and Crochet House Cup on ravelry. It just sounded like tons of fun. I managed to hand in one single piece of homework as a Not Quite First Year before the end of the term and was sure I would play the next term as NQFY. I applied to be sorted anyway, and - surprise, surprise - I got sorted into Ravenclaw. Yay!

Now, one part of the House Cup is Quidditch. The first task this term is to convince a certain professor D. Umbridge to let us play - which means we are to make things that dear Dolores would love. And this is where the cup cosy comes in. I am sure the old hag our esteemed Madame Umbridge would not want to miss her tea while watching a match. But we wouldn't want her to ruin her hideous good tea china in a mishap while accidentally cheering during the match, now, would we? On the other hand, we would not want her to hurt her claws delicate hands on a hot to-go cup, either - right? So she needs her own very special cup cosy. It is bow-shaped, and the first version I made is pink and purple - it looked so very much Umbridge that I even named the pattern after her.


These cosies are very easy and quick to make. I used about 20 m of super bulky yarn (16.5 m of the main colour and 3.5 m of the contrast colour). The only skills required are knit, purl and a bit of seaming (whip stitch or slip stitch). The pattern includes in-progress pictures.

Oh, and by the way, you can easily modify the pattern to make bracelets or headbands (I have included suggestions in the pattern, but have not yet got around to test them myself).

And last, but not least - the link to the free pattern: Dolores Cup Cosy.

No comments:

Post a Comment